Friday, October 14, 2011

Stockpile Meal - Buffalo Chicken Strips


When I first started couponing and building a stockpile, one of the main things that I would search the net for was recipes from food that came out of my stockpile. They tell you not to look in your pantry and write down a list of things that you don’t have; but instead, look in your local sales ads and make a meal plan from it. (Also using what you already have in your stockpile) There are a lot of great sites that come from couponing women that have recipes- but I rarely ever found any that legitimately had recipes with the food from their stockpiles. I decided to start posting some of the recipes that I have been using with the things that I get on sale and food that I have accumulated from couponing.

Something that is important to me when I am looking at recipes is that the meal is healthy. Cooking well balanced meals for my family is a top priority. A lot of the recipes that I use are ones that I have found all over the internet, but some of them I tweak to make it a bit healthier.

This is a recipe I found here, I tweaked it a little bit. This recipe calls for Franks Red Hot Sauce. If you have been couponing for a while, you probably have several bottles lying around, so I thought this would make for a good stockpile recipe. 



Buffalo Chicken Strips

Ingredients:
 4 Boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into strips or nuggets
¼ Cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less)
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ Cup whole wheat bread crumbs
2 Egg whites
1 Tablespoon water
2 Tablespoons of Franks Hot Sauce

If you want the flavor to be stronger, I would marinate the chicken in hot sauce for a couple of hours before cooking.

Directions:
  
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
      2. In a bag, mix together flower, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, and salt. – In a separate bowl or plate, mix the breadcrumbs with the remaining salt and cayenne pepper.
3.      3.  Beat egg whites with the hot sauce and tablespoon of water.
4.      4. Shake chicken in the bag with the flour until coated. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in breadcrumb mixture. Place the chicken strips on the cooking sheet.
5.      5. Bake for 8 minutes. Flip pieces over, and bake for another 8 minutes or until juices run clear.

0 comments:

Post a Comment